Sunday 10 March 2013

Can I Call Myself A Shirtmaker?

Do you remember I said I was impatient? The morning after my last post I decided that the only solution to my shirt making problems was to locate one of the Kwik Sew patterns recommended for the Craftsy Classic shirt class and to start again. This was somewhat frustrating as Kwik Sew patterns are not very popular in this neck of the woods although my search did lead me to find a couple of fabric shops that I didn't know of and that can only be a good thing. I found that one of my favourite fabric shops Abakhan in Manchester supplies Kwik Sew so I set off determined to be quick and not buy the entire shop as usual. Within an hour and a half I was back home with my new pattern and some new linen to be washed.

I've spent a lot of quality time with Pam over the last few days and have watched some parts of the class many times and I do now have an almost completed shirt. In theory I only have to hem the shirt find some buttons and tackle the much feared buttonholes. However, my lovely husband who I've made the shirt for has decided that the collar is "a bit Elvis" for him. As he's a creative type he rarely has to wear a formal shirt for work and favours a polo or more casual linen shirt. This pattern is to be fair a classic shirt so not really Elvis like by most standards, but by his it is so I think I'm going to have to either adapt the existing collar or more likely start it over again.

I plan to keep going tomorrow, hem it and redo the collar. In the meantime I need to search for some buttons. I may even have got my act together enough to post some photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment