I am going to show you a couple of frocks, but before I do in case you've been following my shirtmaking journey here's a picture of my headless husband wearing his finished shirt. I would wholeheartedly recommend the classic tailored shirt class to anyone who wants to learn how to professionally construct a shirt, it's so well taught by Pam Howard that even a slapdash sewer like me managed to produce something wearable. I really hope that Craftsy will offer some more Pam in the future.
Now onto the frocks. A while ago I pinned this Brora dress onto my Pinterest page. I particularly like the neckline with the collar, at the time I looked online and in my own stash of patterns but couldn't find anything similar.
Then a couple of months ago I spotted this dress in the February edition of BurdaStyle magazine
BurdaStyle Boucle Dress Pattern
I prefer the shape of the skirt on this pattern to the Brora dress as full skirts never look good on me, so I decided to give it a go. As I was under the misapprehension that spring was on it's way I decided not to use a boucle like the photograph (although I do think it looks fab) and opted to use up some fabric I had in my 'not sure what I'll use this for' pile. So here I am in my frock.
Now I hadn't done my shirt class at this point and I couldn't get my head around the collar instructions at all, so I drafted a flat peter pan collar and went with that. I think it came out ok, but the neckline is way too low to wear alone and it's a bit baggy around the waist. Anyway I've worn it and that's probably the biggest test.
So then I decided to make another - it really is a very easy dress to make (did I mention no dreaded zip?) This time I added a waist dart at the front (there is one already in the back) and opted not to include a collar. I dug out some fine needlecord fabric in black and came up with this.
I did reduce the length of the neckline, but still not enough to wear without flashing. It's a shame because it's a bit spoilt by having a cami underneath although it probably would look better with a black one rather than blue - hey ho.
I'm pleased with the overall outcome, the fabric in particular. It looks a bit like velvet from a distance, but being needlecord is a lot more wearable. Whilst the new front darts have given it a bit of shape, I don't think I got them right and should have given them a longer taper. Well I think that's what the problem is.
I'd love to know what you think about these two frocks, I'm tempted to make a third to try and get the neckline right and use my new collar knowledge to make a 'proper' collar. I'll add it onto the to do list. In the meantime I'm off before I change my mind about posting photographs of myself - I hate having my photo taken (gulp).